Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Representing the Family...

When I was a kid my parents would periodically remind me that I represented the family when I went out in public. My actions were a reflection of what my family was all about. While I like to think that I always did my parents proud, I'm sure there were occasions (only a few of course!) when my behavior failed to represent the values and preferences of a Christ-honoring family. Childhood excitement and teenage angst are respectively quite powerful factors!

Nevertheless, I'm grateful for the lesson that I learned through my childhood years: public behavior should reflect familial values and commitments. 

On a much grander scale, I think we see this same principle play out in the Old Testament. Early on in the book of Deuteronomy as Moses recounts the instructions of Yahweh to Israel, he makes an interesting statement:
"See, I have taught you statues and rules, as the Lord my God commanded me...Keep them and do them, for that will be your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples, who, when they hear all these statutes, will say, 'Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.'" (Deut. 4:5-6)
As it turns out, the Israelite people had both personal and public motivations for following the instructions of Yahweh. Not only would they be life-giving for their community, but they would also serve as an apologetic of sorts to the surrounding nations. The nations couldn't help but recognize that Israel was a "wise and understanding people" who served a righteous and attentive God (Duet. 4:7-8). Ultimately, Israel's actions in the public realm were meant to reflect the nature and attributes of our great God.  
Similarly, Christians of today are instructed to "Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven" (Matt. 5:16). Our actions and attitudes (should!) represent the family we come from. Indeed, our daily life is the stage on which God's "family-values" find their most important expression; not merely in our words, but in our deeds (James 2:26). 

I don't think we should be overly harsh on ourselves when it comes to areas where we don't quite reflect God's character. Just like any naturally adopted child, you would expect it to take time to learn the new family's way of life. The key is to stay committed to the learning curve! 

By God's grace, may we continually learn the ways of God's family to spread his glory to the nations!


Grace and Peace.

No comments: