Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The road from Substance Dualism to Functional Holism



I
 have been preoccupied for a great deal of time with human beings. I’m fascinated by our complexities and – conversely – often frustrated by our complications. We’re one hell of a metaphysical variety.
What are we?
What makes us tick?

It’s a truism to note the variety evident in the human race. There are many physical, cultural, religious (etc.) contours that testify to our distinctions. Trust me – you can’t walk down Hollywood Boulevard without noticing how many types of people there are.

And yet…

There is something that unites us.  We’re all human beings.

Which brings me back to my original question: what are we? What is a human being?

My early thoughts about human nature revolved around somewhat mundane classifications. I voluntarily accepted much of the “folk-ontology” that I had grown up with. Human beings were essentially something like a spirit that indwelt a body – two separate and distinct entities. Jesus was all about getting my spirit saved via his “spiritual” redemption. I suppose I thought my body was important. It helped me interact with other people and I certainly liked the benefits I received from having a body (i.e. the pleasure of eating a good meal or seeing a beautiful sunset), but I didn’t consider my body essential to who I was. It was something of an extremity.

I liked that perspective. It was so naïve, but so satisfying. I could sleep at night.

In late high school and early college, my thoughts began to change. I was introduced to the great Greeks (i.e. Plato and Aristotle). Something about them felt marginally safe. They posited something similar to the “folk-ontology” of my early years, but they seemed to take things a step further. They talked about something like a relationship between “spirit” (i.e. soul) and “matter” (i.e. body). While Plato conceived of this spirit/matter pairing as unfortunate, Aristotle suggested a necessary metaphysical link between the two – soul gave form to matter. Whatever I made of these ideas at that point, I couldn’t help but feel like my simplistic conception of human nature was expanding. Thoughts of “necessary relation” or “form” had never entered my mind. Maybe, per Aristotle, we had a body for a reason. Maybe…

At any rate, I was intrigued. These ideas stuck a chord with me and I jumped on board the substance dualist wagon. Looking back, I was surely confused concerning which wagon I was on exactly – my conflation of important distinctions was remarkable – but I was confident that I was (probably) most essentially my soul but now with some important relationship with a body. At this point I was still, however, most convinced of an asymmetrical relationship between body and soul where the soul influences the body, but not vice versa.

Through the end of college and into my first year of seminary, I don’t think much changed. I was getting more comfortable on my substance-dualist wagon and didn’t foresee any need to get off.

Unfortunately, I kept reading books.

Word to the wise: If you ever want to maintain you perspective on something, don’t read books.

Most notably, I read two books: Bodies and Souls, or Spirited Bodies by Nancey Murphy and Body, Soul & Life Everlasting by John W. Cooper.

Both of these authors come from notably different points of view. Murphy is Professor of Christian Philosophy at Fuller Theological Seminary and Cooper is a long-time Professor of Philosophical Theology at Calvin Theological Seminary. Nevertheless, both of them played a part in coaxing me towards the next step in my thoughts about human nature.

Murphy’s book explores the implications of recent scientific and philosophical advances concerning human persons. Given her interpretation of the data, she concludes that non-reductive physicalism best accounts for what human beings are. On her view, our bodies are essential to being human. Without them we do not exist. That thing we used to call the “soul” (i.e. the epicenter of human-ness) is actually unnecessary to posit.  Our physical brain gives rise to “immaterial” mental states that supervene on us. Given her understanding, if we can explain where immaterial thoughts come from without the soul, then we don’t need the soul any longer. Well, whether or not this perspective actually works is another story (In fact, I think this theory runs into some difficulties – especially in relation to personal identity over time and biblical testimony on the afterlife.). Nevertheless, It motivated me to reconsider some of my, at that point, engrained opinions about human beings.

Maybe we’re not essentially our souls.

Cooper, on the other hand, provided me with an enlightening read of Scripture sans dualistic presuppositions. His explication of Old Testament data helped me see the Jewish holistic perspective on human beings. On their view, a human being is not a circumstantial concurrence of spirit and matter, but a complex unity of ‘apar and nephesh/ruach. There is such a tight unity between the body and spirit that one might even understand them to be mutually dependent. Again, whether or not Cooper is exactly right on all of this biblical interpretation (although, I suspect he might be) is somewhat secondary for me. At the end of the day, he stirred something transformative in the way I think about us as human beings.

Maybe we’re not essentially our souls.

At this point, I think I might count myself as a functional holist. Cooper introduced me to this language and I find it satisfactory. As a functional holist, I believe that human beings are naturally embodied beings. We were created to exist in that way. This does away with any gnostic denigration of physicality. Nevertheless, there is still a non-physical part of who we are as human beings. Scripture makes it difficult to deny the unembodied state of some persons post-death. And I’ve yet to be convinced of either immediate resurrection theories or substitute body theories for the intermediate state. Maybe one day they’ll win me over, but for now it seems that something unembodied exists post-death that is identical with the embodied human person pre-death, so I have to accept something non-physical in order to jive with that.

I suppose I’m rambling now, so I’ll wrap it up.

I guess I’m happy.

I’m happy that I see the value of the body. I’m happy to see that (in some way) I am my body. I’m happy to appreciate the fact that my body can influence my spirit/soul in some meaningful way.  I’m happy to see how my body can instantiate God’s Kingdom in the physical world.

I’m happy for this body you all call Dave. 

Here's to the future and what new ideas it will bring.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more reading on the topic of embodiment, check out my friend's article here:  http://theotherjournal.com/2013/11/25/reenchanting-the-body/

No comments: